Crypt of the Cathedral, Otranto LE
The crypt, which winds its way around the area below the apse, the presbytery and part of the hall, dates back to the 11th century and is a miniature version of the famous Cistern of Theodosius or the Mosque of Cordoba. It is located in the cathedral of Santa Maria Annunziata, the most important Catholic place of worship in the city of Otranto, mother church of the archdiocese of the same name. In July 1945, Pope Pius XII raised the cathedral to the dignity of a minor basilica.
As part of the conservative restoration project that involved the crypt, DZ Engineering was involved in creating the lighting system for this place of worship through a system of micro LEDs, directable and made to measure, installed at the base of the crypt capitals.
The light produced is mainly indirect, with underlining and accentuations on the elements of artistic and liturgical value. Also installed was the patented DigiLux VM 3000 system, indispensable for adapting the lighting to the various moments of the day, from liturgical celebrations to prayer vigils to tourist visits.